Thursday, July 28, 2011

Learning more

Once we made the decision to jump in to the adoption process I quickly realized how little I really knew about adoption. I've shared before about how extremely helpful and beneficial the classes from our agency have been. I also wanted to just mention a few other things that have been helpful to me so far.

Ok we haven't gone to this yet, but I'm anticipating that it's going to be super duper great. In October we get to attend the Together for Adoption conference. Registration is still open if you're interested in going.

And here are a few books I've read that I thought were good:

Secret Thoughts of An Adoptive Mother by Jana Wolff
Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie Eldrige
Raising Adopted Kids by Lois Ruskai Melina
Adopted for Life by Russell Moore
Post-Adoption Blues by Karen Foli (although it was a bit depressing because it gives a lot of examples of tough adoption situations)
Saying Goodbye to a Baby: The Birthparent's Guide to Loss & Grief in Adoption by Patricia Roles
The Whole Life Adoption Book by Jayne Schooler
A Treasury of Adoption Miracles by Karen Kingsbury
Baby, we were meant for each other: in praise of adoption by Scott Simon 
Making Room in our Hearts: Keeping Family Ties Through Open Adoption- Micky Duxbury

I'm sure I'll be able to add to this list as time goes on. There are some great blogs I've read as well, but I won't list all of those. Suffice it to say there are so many wonderfully helpful resources out there and with the interwebs these days it's not too hard to find them :)

Carrie



No comments:

Post a Comment